Sunday, November 22, 2009

Facebook & Family




Continuing with using b's Question of the Day as a writing prompt....



Complete the sentence - Having family on Facebook is....

...absolutely AMAZING! I don't live near my family members, so I don't see them often. I'm not much of a phone person, so I don't talk to my family often. I ran into my older cousin at the mall the other day and thanks to Facebook, our conversation was very simple:

Her: hey girl! who you up here with?
Me: [silently thinking: I'm 25 years old. I don't need chaperon] no one, I'm alone.
Her: oh ok...see ya later.
Me: ok bye.

Now if she wasn't my friend on Facebook and we didn't communicate through comments, status messages and photos, our conversation probably would've been something like:

Her: hey girl! who you up here with?
Me: no one, I'm alone. How are you? How's the baby?
Her: I'm good...just dealin' with my crazy ass baby daddy. The baby is gettin so big. lemme show you some pics...

[SHUFFLING THROUGH HER PURSE FOR A MINI (but not so mini) PHOTO ALBUM...PROCEEDED BY SHOWING ME 3 SETS OF 40+ PICTURES WITH THE BABY DRESSED IN THE SAME OUTFIT DOING DIFFERENT POSES]

Me: oh....wow. cute. She IS getting big. I haven't seen her since that day at the hospital. I've just been SO busy with work and school.
Her: I know girl, me too. You still working at XXXXX XXXXXX?
Me: yep, I'm still there.
Her: I hear that. How's your mother n' dem?
Me: They're good. Zay [my sister] is gettin so grown! She's boy crazy.
Her: Yea Jessica [her sister] too.

[SERIES OF BLANK STARES, FAKE SMILES, AND FALSE PROMISES TO KEEP IN TOUCH]

This is why I LOVE having my family on my Facebook friendslist. I don't really have much to hide so I usually approve anyone who sends me a request. I think Facebook puts everything into a nice little package that allows me to communicate in bulk. No need to send out Christmas cards, no feeling guilty about forgetting a birthday, and I'm always updated on what's going on in their lives. Also, I don't mind my family and friends mingling with one another. I made a choice to communicate with the people I communicate with and I am not ashamed of them, nor do I feel a need to hide them, but that's just me.

I don't think I'd ever have a moment like this...



On the OTHER hand, I'd NEVER have my boyfriend/lover/husband/ex (or any co-workers) as friends on Facebook, but that's a blog post for another day.

Do YOU like having your family members as Facebook friends????

No comments: